Monday 25 March 2013

Pulse Appe


One of my dearest friends wanted to know the recipe for Appe and I misunderstood it to be "Unni appam". So to please my friend, I packed few Unni appams to office when I prepared the same at home. But after few bites she gave me a amused look and said this tastes good but I was referring about the salty and spicy Appe. 

Due to my ignorance I wondered if there can be a salty version of Unni appams and tried convincing her that there's only this sweet version of appams but she insisted that she had actually had Appe- a different snack, during her visit to one of their relatives in Bangalore and her hubby liked it a lot and hence she wanted to try it out.
 
Although our conversation ended there but some where at the back of my mind, I wanted to know about the snack my friend R was talking about. And thus when I saw this recipe on net, I decided to prepare it immediately as I found it to be very healthy owing to fact that lots of pulses and greens can be used in preparing this yummy South Indian snacks, so in continuation to pamper my munchkin's desire to have something tasty, I prepared this Pulse Appe, which is surely a treat to the taste buds at the same time its wholesome, healthy and very nutritious.
 
I have prepared it in large quantity and have refrigerated it so that I can serve them whenever they wish to have it. Just greese the appe mould and warm the appe before serving but nothing can compare to its taste when had fresh and hot.
 
I have twisted it a bit to make it less spicy as I wanted my kids to have it without being fussy and this is for my best friend to try it for her lovely daughter and husband... R do give it a try .
 
Ingredients                                                        Quantity                                 
Par boiled rice(ukda chawal)                                 : 1/2 cup
Raw rice                                                                     : 1/2 cup
Moong dal(split green gram)                                : 1/4 cup
Urad Dal (split black gram)                                  : 1/4 cup
Chana dal(split Bengal gram)                               : 4-5 tsp
Raagi powder                                                           : 3-4 tsp     
Spinach chopped(Palak)                                       : 1/2 cup
Fenugreek chopped(Methi leaves)                     : 1/2 cup
Chopped coriander leaves                                    : 2-3 tsp
For tempering
Chopped Onions                                                     : 1/2 cup
Sesame seeds                                                          : 2 tsp
Turmeric powder                                                   : 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder                                                          : 1/2 tsp
Asafoetida (hing)                                                   : a pinch
Sugar                                                                        : a pinch
Green chillis chopped(optional)          
Salt as per taste
Few curry leaves
oil
 
Preparation Method:                                                                                    
 
  • Wash and soak all the dals and rice in water for at 4-5 hours.
  • Grind the above mix to a smooth paste using little water( use the same water used to soak them). The consistency should be off idli batter. 
  • Add raagi powder, salt and sugar to the batter, mix well and keep aside overnight.
  • Next day morning, add  spinach, fenugreek and coriander leaves.Mix well and keep aside.
  •  In a tadka pan, heat 1 tsp of oil,splutter sesame seeds and add the onions and saute till onions turn light brown in colour.
  • Now add the  curry leaves,turmeric powder, chilli powder and asafoetida and saute for 1 more minute.
  • Pour this over the batter and everything very well. Add enough water to the batter if required to make it of dropping consistency. 
  • Heat the appe mould on a medium flame and grease it with a little oil.
  • Drop a spoonful of the batter into each mould and cook till the outer surface becomes golden brown and then turn each appe upside down and cook the other side as well.
Serve the hot and crispy appe.

 
 
 Tips:                                                                                                                              
  • In summer there is no need to keep the batter overnight to ferment instead keeping for 4-5 hours should be enough depending upon the room temperature.
  • I have not used green chillies as my kids dont prefer them.
  • One can even use Semolina to prepare the Appe along with rice instead of using lentils.
     
 Sending this to :
 


 
Sending this recipe to Healthy Me, Healthy Us Event hosted by Sizzling Taste-buds:
http://priyaeasyntastyrecipes.blogspot.in/2013/06/announcing-healthy-diet-diabetic.html
 

2 comments:

  1. hey Preeti,.. Thank you so much for the recipe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. u r welcome. Hope u get appe mould and everyone at ur home likes it...

      Delete

Hi, Please leave you valuable comments/suggestion/feedback . Thanks for visiting my blog.